With Pancake Day coming up soon, now is the ideal time to get in my twist on traditional flour and egg pancakes with this super high protein, nutritionally dense, sublimely delicious plant based recipe. Plenty of pantry staples make this an easy dish and with very little preparation, you’ll be flipping these pancakes in a jiffy. Lets do this. Your ingredients are as follows:
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 8 ounces (230g) extra-firm tofu, drained – remember, if you don’t have firm tofu, freeze it the night before and defrost in the morning
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats – because you’re blending this mix you can get away with any Oats but the Rolled Variety will give the best results.
- 1¼ cups dairy-free milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar – regular table sugar will work
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon Coconut oil, divided – any oil will do but Coconut will give you the best flavour
- Maple syrup, for serving
- ½ cup frozen blueberries, defrosted, divided
Mix the flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons water and set aside. This will serve as your ‘Egg’ Base – Remember this mixture as it can replace egg in almost any recipe!
Add all the ingredients except the blueberries and 1 tablespoon oil to a
food processor and blend well. Use the quick pulse button to blend in ¼
cup of the blueberries.
Heat the remaining oil in a skillet and add ¼ cup of the pancake batter
to the center of the pan. When bubbling on one side, flip and cook until
golden brown. Continue until all the batter is gone. The first one or two pancakes will cook quite quickly from the initial heat so be mindful while cooking them. A preheated oven at 50-60 degrees will keep your batch warm. Serve with maple syrup (or your low calorie equivalent) and sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup blueberries on top. It’s not always easy to find a quality Pure Maple Syrup in store so if you’d rather have someone bring it to you, I recommend St Lawrence Gold Pure Canadian Amber Maple Syrup, 250 ml from Amazon.